Oregon Deafblind Project - Family Guide ODB Project Home
Coming to Terms Getting the Support You Need Teaching Your Child
Interveners Resources and Links Typical Development

Getting the Support You Need

Demonstration of technology for people with vision impairment

There are many services available to help you in this journey, but sometimes it is difficult to find the services. We hope that this list will assist you in discovering the services that will meet your needs!

Start lining up services. If your child will be in need of early intervention or special education services, don't wait to make the first phone calls to set that in motion. It can take months to get the first appointments and evaluations scheduled and completed, and you won't want to add more time to that by dragging your feet. Contact your state's early intervention office or your school district as soon as those services are recommended, and start gathering the reports and information you're going to need once the process begins.

2017 Parent Learning Weekend

In July, The Oregon Deafblind Project, in collaboration with the Oregon Department of Education hosted their annual Parent Learning Weekend. More

Checklist of Services you will want to go through as you start the journey:

Download pdf version of checklist.

checkboxFind a Pediatrician that is comfortable with children who experience Deafblindness,
including children with additional disabilities.
checkboxFind a Pediatric Eye Doctor. Possible places to look:
The Casey Eye Institute
The Elks Children's Eye Clinic
checkboxFind a Pediatric Audiologist
Hint: In your searches, you could use a site such as Angie's List where you will find not just a listing, but customer reviews of each person.
checkboxContact the Oregon DeafBlind Project:
The Oregon Deafblind Project is a Federally-funded Technical Assistance and Dissemination project. The Project provides technical assistance, training, and information to enhance services for children in Oregon who are deafblind. The project serves children from birth through age 21 years.
Jan Hearing, Director, Oregon Deafblind Project The Research Institute, Western Oregon University 345 N. Monmouth Ave, Monmouth, OR 97361 (503) 838-8328
checkboxContact your closest Child Development and Rehabilitation Center (CDRC)
The CDRD's clinics use a family-centered, inter-disciplinary approach to care. Staff specialize in diagnosis, assessment, and intervention related to disorders affecting development. Depending on the child, services range from a single discipline consultation to a full team evaluation.
Child Development and Rehabilitation Center, Oregon Health & Science University
CDRC has clinical programs throughout the State of Oregon, most CDRC services today are provided at the clinic area within Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland, or at the CDRD Eugene Programs located at the University of Oregon campus in Eugene.
CDRC Portland: 503 494-8362, 503 346-0640 or Toll-free 877 346-0640
CDRC Eugene: 541-346-3575 or 800-637-0700
checkboxContact your local Education Service District (ESD)
The Oregon School Board has a list of Oregon ESD's. Contact your local ESD if you want to have your child evaluated. Be sure to let them know that your child has a vision and hearing loss. It is their job to evaluate your child. If your child meets eligibility requirements, the ESD will provide specialized service and intervention. If your child is made eligible for services through an Education Service District, you and your child will likely be working with several persons, including an Audiologist, a Vision Specialist and a Hearing Specialist
For more information about Early Intervention services, see Oregon Department of Education (ODE) EI/ECSE Central Directory. This page contains links to:
ODE's EI/ECSE Contractor Contact Map.
Who Can I Call to Refer My Child for Services (English)
Who Can I Call to Refer My Child for Services (Spanish)
checkboxContact Family Networks
Bridging Communities (Jackson and Josephine Counties)
Contact information: (541) 690-8542, heatherO@livingopps.org
ROCCOS Family Network (Wheeler, Grant, Harney, Union, Baker and Malheur Counties)
Contact information: (877) 315-4225, dana@roccosfamilynetwork.org
Central Oregon Disability Support Network (CODSN) (Deshutes, Crook, and Jefferson Counties)
Contact information: 541-548-8559, dianna@codsn.org
Families Engaging and Thriving Together (FEATT) (Douglas County)
Contact information: 541-670-2750, jill@featt.org
Creating Opportunities (Polk, Yamhill and Marion Counties)
Contact information: 503-559-3674, cherylc@creatingops.org
Families Connected
Contact information: 541-343-5256, laura.dahill@arclane.org
checkboxContact Developmental Disability Services
For families of children with developmental disabilities who are living at home, "Family Support" through Community Developmental Disabilities Programs may offer a variety of supports and assistance. The unique needs of families who care for a child with developmental disabilities are addressed through the development of individual plans.
For children with intensive behavior or medical needs and who are living at home, highly individualized services may be provided through the Oregon Children's Intensive In-Home Services. Be sure to ask your DD caseworker about Children's Intensive In Home Services (CIIS). This is a program that assists families in keeping their children at home. The program helps provide healthcare; equipment not covered by insurance; supplies such as wipes, laundry detergent and hand soap; communication devices. It should be noted that the Children's Intensive In Home Services has at least a 2-year waiting list, so ask your DD caseworker early on to get your child on the list for an evaluation!
Department of Human Services: Phone: 503-945-5811 or 800-282-8096 - TTY: 800-282-8096
checkboxGet to know the terminology used in Special Education
The National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities (NICHCY) offers a topical listing of terms in English and Spanish
checkboxGo online and fill out The Communication Matrix
The Communication Matrix is a free online tool to assess your child's functional communication. This will assist you in understanding which mode of communication will best help your child to learn.
communication map

Western Oregon University | The Research Institute | The Oregon Deafblind Project

Ideas that work, IDEA logo

The Oregon Deafblind Project is funded through grant award # H326T130008, OSEP CFDA 84.326T, U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education (OSEP), OSEP Project Officer: Susan Weigert.

The opinions and policies expressed by this publication do not necessarily reflect those of The Research Institute at Western Oregon University or the US Department of Education.

345 N. Monmouth Ave. : Monmouth, OR 97361
Voice: 503-838-8328 | Fax: 503-838-8150

To increase font size, click "Control" and "+" for PC, "Command" and "+" for MAC.